By Lyndsey Hall
As a small business owner, you’re both artist and administrator, maker and marketer. You know having a blog is a great way to attract traffic to your website and engage your ideal customer, but you don’t always have time to plan your content, create it, post and promote it each week, on top of coming up with ideas for what to write about!
That’s why we’ve put together this list of 52 blog ideas for small business owners, one for every week of the year, so you’ve always got something to write about. Now all you have to do is scribble a few hundred words down, take a photo (or choose a high quality, royalty-free image from a site like RawPixel or Pixabay, or design a graphic using Canva), and once you’ve uploaded your blog post just schedule it to all your social media accounts using a tool like Buffer or Hootsuite. Simple!
And the best thing about all of these suggestions is that they don’t just have to be for your blog, you can easily repurpose any of them for your other marketing content, e.g. your email list, social media posts and stories, YouTube videos or livestreams etc.
Even better—you can reuse these prompts year on year! Now, on with the show.
52 content ideas for businesses
- Your New Year resolutions or goals for the next twelve months
- An average day in your business
- Spotlight on one of your products or services
- Your origin story – how and why you started your business
- Who inspires you (parent, teacher, business person you admire, etc.)?
- Spotlight on one of your suppliers
- A quote that inspires and motivates you, and why
- A client case study – how you helped them and a quote from the client
- Three business bucket list items
- What does success look like to you?
- Spotlight on one of your employees (or your pet!)
- Your company values
- What did you want to be when you were a kid.
- A mistake you’ve made or problem you’ve faced in the past, and how you overcame it (or are trying to)
- How do you relax in your spare time?
- What legacy do you hope to leave? (Professionally or personally)
- Your to do list for the day
- One big win you’ve had this week
- A tour of your work space
- The best piece of advice you were ever given and who gave it to you
- The last book you read and one lesson you took from it
- Your current goal – big or small
- Where do you see your business in 5 years’ time?
- One memory of Sheffield (or your city) that you love
- Something (or someone) you’re grateful for
- Get to know the business owner – tell us a few little known facts about yourself
- FAQs – ask your customers and social media followers to send in their top questions and answer them in one post
- Why you chose your business name
- Sustainability – your policy, how your business is working to reduce, reuse and recycle
- Create a free template or checklist to help your ideal client
- Guest blog – invite a client, supplier or someone influential in your industry to take over your blog for the day
- Curate a list of resources or content on a relevant or current topic
- Your Sliding Doors moment – where would you be if you’d made one decision differently, either in business or in life
- How you give back – your chosen charity or cause, what to means to you and how you contribute
- Create an infographic for your customers about the benefits of your product or service
- What technology or machinery helps you to do your job?
- Events – online or offline, shout out an upcoming event you’re attending or hosting
- Bust some common myths or misconceptions about your industry
- Share some relevant statistics, even better if you can show growth or improvement!
- The busy holiday period is coming up, tell your customers anything they need to know over the coming weeks, e.g. lead times, opening hours, any plans to close for a week or two
- Compare your product or service to a competitors or show the value you offer compared to trying to go it alone
- Share an unpopular opinion – is there a common idea among your industry that you disagree with? Tell us about it
- Do a roundup of some recent articles and blogs that you enjoyed or found useful
- Trends – talk about the current and upcoming trends within your industry
- Recommend your favourite business podcasts
- BTS – go behind the scenes and share photos and insights into how you do what you do
- Run a poll on your social media accounts and discuss the results
- Host a giveaway or contest – if you’ve got a product, physical or digital, you can offer one as a prize
- Do you have a hobby or passion outside of your work? Share it with us
- Inspire your customers – write a positive, motivational post with your best advice
- Share your most popular blogs of the last year, or the ones you’re proudest of, and give us a reason to read them now
- Look back at what your business has achieved in the last twelve months and celebrate the biggest and smallest successes, and turn any challenges you’ve faced into positives, tell us what you learned from them and how you’re going to move forward
There you have it, fifty-two blog topic suggestions for small business owners and entrepreneurs, so you never have to struggle for something to write about on your blog, social media and newsletter each week.
Best of luck with your marketing efforts in 2021. Tag us in your posts and let us know if you use our suggestions! Give us your best blog ideas in the comments or on our Linkedin page.